Fashion’s Night Out was created in 2009 to inject excitement and cash flow into the sinking fashion and luxury goods industry. Three years later, an international event, it is filled with boundless creative energy and awesome ideas for designers and retailers to create engaging retail experiences all year round; NOT on just one evening of celebration.
Not to take the fun out of a carnival like night of play, but some may argue that these events don’t necessarily move a company’s bottom line. We argue that when events are strategically linked to actual purchases and profitable promotions, the benefits of experiential marketing creates brand awareness, customer loyalty, publicity and longer lines at the counter.
Business owners should consider their marketing strategy before planning a retail boosting event-
- Create actual sales goals for the event. How much do you expect to sell and at what price points will you still be profitable?
- Develop an event idea to inject excitement into your stores at slower retail times of the year.
- Focus on your VIP customers when sending out invites and ask them to invite their friends (this should be an invitation-only happening).
- Merchandise the inventory you have on hand to sell before the event. Make it easier for your customers to shop.
- Redesign your space/store for the ideal flow of heavier traffic and socializing/shopping.
- Plan for proper staffing to make the event a profitable success.
- Measure the success of the evening by the increase in sales, press and new customers.
Fashion’s Night Out is loaded with courageous ideas. Year round ideas that will lure shoppers in and boost retail sales for your business –
- Your offering can be as simple as sipping cocktails and nibbling on hors d’oeuvres to make shopping in your location a bit more relaxed and enjoyable.
- A photo booth on hand seems to be the “must have prop” of the 2011 FNO (although we are not quite sure, with Instagram taking center stage).
- Shoppers receive “Denim Therapy” – a free hem with purchase of any jeans at 7 For All Man Kind. Consider how this convenient service can be offered at your location.
- Make it a game, like the scavenger hunt at Alexander McQueen with limited number of Fashion Night Out key codes, which can be entered online to win its latest iconic bag, the Folk Tote.
- Raffles, contests, giveaways, celebrity guests, fashion shows, DJ’s, previews of upcoming collections – get as creative as you can.
- One of our favorite events in NYC is Tracy Reese’s dance-a-thon, inviting guests to show-off their best moves, in the boutique and even in the store’s windows, with DJ Tyger Lilly to keep the music going all night at her boutique in NYC’s Meatpacking district.
Racked NY and New York Magazine have curated some of the best places to eat, shop and be entertained in NYC tonight. We can help you create your own Fashion’s Night Out anytime of the year and properly plan and orchestrate it for sales and marketing success.